Thursday, August 7, 2014

Dehydrating Lettuce and Making Green Powder

    Hello.  My name is Melody.  I like to dehydrate.  (Imitating an admission at a support group.)  It's true.  It's almost a compulsion.  If it can be dehydrated, you better believe that I will try to dehydrate.  I'm up to the challenge.  If you have been reading my posts you know that I even dehydrate watermelon and eggs.  If it is a fruit, a vegetable, an herb, or any kind of liquid (sauce, etc.) I WILL dehydrate it.



    We had a surplus of lettuce this year.  We could only eat so much of it and I hate things to go to waste so I dehydrated it.  Much of the lettuce was iceberg lettuce with not a lot of nutritional value but by gorries, it has some and it WILL be put to use.  ;-)

     To dehydrate lettuce, rinse the lettuce and pat it dry.  I then shredded the lettuce.  You can also make lettuce chips (similar to Kale chips) if you have leaf lettuce.  Anyway, once it is shredded, just spread it out onto your dehydrator trays.

how to preserve lettuce, can you dehydrate lettuce, making lettuce chips, shredded lettuce, dehydrating lettuce, how to make green powder for smoothies,
Shredded lettuce.

  It does not take long to dehydrate.  Within about 4 hours the lettuce should be nice and crisp.

how to preserve lettuce, can you dehydrate lettuce, making lettuce chips, shredded lettuce, dehydrating lettuce, how to make green powder for smoothies,
Dehydrated lettuce. 
  
I then take the lettuce out and place it in my Magic Bullet and pulse it down into a powder.

how to preserve lettuce, can you dehydrate lettuce, making lettuce chips, shredded lettuce, dehydrating lettuce, how to make green powder for smoothies,
Homemade green powder.

     You can use any greens this way.  I do Kale, spinach, carrot tops, collard greens, etc. this way and make "green powder".  Green powder can be added a teaspoonful or so at a time to eggs, salads, casseroles, meatloaf, smoothies, etc.    It adds extra nutrition, with no change in texture to items.  A good way to sneak in some veggies without your family catching on.  Also, a good way to use up lettuce that may have gone to waste before.

Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube Channel
Follow us on Instagram


4 comments:

  1. I don't have a dehydrator...how can I dehydrate without one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use the lowest setting of your oven (145-200 degrees).

      Delete
  2. I bet the kale,spinach etc would be good mixed with oils for a salad dressing. What do you think

    ReplyDelete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...