Monday, June 8, 2015

Extra Crispy French Fries

   Our family loves french fries...especially if they are homemade and nice and crispy.  We have figured out the key to this and thought we'd share what we have learned.
 



      To do this, you can use frozen fries you have purchased or just peel up some potatoes and slice them (thick or thin, whatever you prefer).  Once the fries are cut, soak them in a bowl of water with 2 tsp. of corn syrup. If you are soaking a lot of french fries, just add a bit more corn syrup.  Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes.

How to make crispy fries like McDonalds, extra crispy french fries


     Remove, drain and heat your french fryer until it is nice and hot.  Carefully drop in the french fries (a few at a time) and fry them for exactly 90 seconds.  Remove from the hot oil and refrigerate for 15 minutes.  After 15 minutes, add them to hot oil and fry them until done.



    I know it sounds like a big ordeal but it is well worth the extra time and effort.

    Now that you have some nice and crispy fries, how about topping them with some chili and have some chili cheese fries???

3 comments:

  1. Never heard of the corn syrup trick. I put them in ice water and leave them in the fridge. I didn't feel like the double frying made enough of a difference to make the effort but I didn't put them in the fridge. It is an interesting twist. I want to do the first few steps and see if I can freeze them and just do the last fry the second time around and see how that works out because that would be a time saving if I could do a huge batch and freeze and pull out what we need. I guess I will have to test :) Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the link to how we freeze our french fries. http://countrifiedhicks.blogspot.com/2014/06/making-and-bagging-your-own-french.html

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I've never heard of using corn syrup. What does the syrup do?

    ReplyDelete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...